From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 21:04:11 +0500
Now that Elizabeth Baldwin is back from her New England vacation, I have a
question I've been saving for her or any others who may have knowledge in
this area.  Is there anything already written up that a breastfeeding
mother can share with a judge who tells her, "We all have excuses why jury
duty is inconvenient.  You won't be excused the next time."  She was told
this a year ago, when she had a nursing 1 year old.  Now she has a nursing
2 year old who protests separation from her, and she dreads being recalled.
 She was first called when the baby was 1 week old, so she has been excused
twice and the judge said she would be recalled in a year (around now).  I
have read the brief articles on this topic in Leaven, Vol 30, no.5:76,
Sept-Oct 1994 and in New Beginnings, Vol 12, no 3:74, May-June 1995.  I
just wondered if any statement specifically to judges on this topic is
already written up, or if I/we in Wisconsin should develop one of our own.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL leader in Madison, WI (Not eager to
tackle this if it has already been done, but thinking it would be helpful
to lots of people who need it in a hurry when the call comes)