From:
Linda Peirce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:23:02 -0400
A friend of mine recently reported to me that when she was pumping milk for her baby years ago, she used a drink mix product called Thirsty Skin that she swore helped her make more milk. She said she had heard about it from another friend for whom it also increased her milk supply. The Thirsty Skin web site does not advertise the product as a galactogogue, but this mom swore it helped her in this way. She brought me a bag so that I could see the ingredients. They are:

Whey protein powder
Cane sugar
Citric acid
Sodium bicarbonate
Maltodextrin
Potassium phosphate
Natural orange and lemon flavors
Salt
Beta carotene (for color)
Calcium carbonate
Stevia
Vitamin C

This mom is usually a vegan, but she made an exception for this drink because she believed it helped her milk supply so much. It got me wondering if perhaps she has a dairy intolerance and the whey protein (which she did not normally consume) was actually boosting her supply? For some women with oversupply, eliminating dairy is one component of managing their supply issues. Just wondering if perhaps this was the case for my friend, but working in reverse. Anyone ever hear of something like this? Or perhaps it was just a really strong placebo effect? :-)

Linda Peirce