From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 22:22:06 -0400
This message was faxed to the IBLCE office to post from Shaughn Leach in
Australia, who asked us to post it, as her modem is not working.

>Dear Lyn
>
>I certainly sympathised with many of your statements in your email of 31
July 1996 (sent to me by another IBCLC as my modem is being repaired at
present!).  When the first exam was sat in Perth Australia in 1989 we
expressed very similar concerns--particularly about the exam being American.
We were also concerned about some of the multiple choice exam aspects
(negative stems in particular).  I am sure most candidates feel just like
you after sitting the exam and do not know how they have done but I believe
that this probably indicates how well the questions constructed.  It means
that the candidate needs to know the topic well to select the most correct
answer.  I know that reading the scenario type questions can be difficult
but in my private practice I find I need to recall the mother's history and
my observations constantly and apply them to the suggestions I make so
whilst the exam is not real life the skill one needs to take the exam
applies to practice.

>In 1994 I was privileged to be an IBLCE Exam Committee member for ALCA and
this experience was enlightening.  I believe the Exam Committee was very
aware of the international intent of the exam and it was my experience that
whenever there were problems with differing cultures the question was
discussed and reworded or not used.  The exam committee I worked with
included a person from England, Canada and Australia so the committee had
members who were not from North America.  You can always contact IBLCE and
find out what other countries are and have been represented on the Exam
committee.  It has been my understanding that the IBLCE would like to have
representatives from other countries/cultures but money is a restriction -
as with most things in life!

>I found the process of the exam construction of an extremely high standard
and whilst I am aware that some people without the right "attitude" pass it
I am sure this happens within most fields.  Our experience here though is
that most candidates with a "suspect attitude" at the start of their study
programme have become very enthusiastic pre and post exam.

>I believe the exam is and has been translated into several different
languages and if someone has to take the exam in a second language they can
be given extra time and are allowed a dictionary in the exam room.  If there
are enough candidates then I am sure the IBLCE could be asked to translate
to other languages.  Maybe one day the IBLCE will have the resources to have
various types and levels but for now I can reassure you that more than the
"American Way" is taken into account by the exam committee.

>Regarding "selling" the exam it appears to me that it really wasn't "sold"
here in Australia.  The numbers were small in the first 3 years and then the
numbers seemed to explode.  I guess there was a certain amount of
competitiveness between health professionals especially when they wanted
promotion (or to have an "edge" to get a job).  This is not all bad as when
many candidates start to study for the exam they learn so much it often
moves them to make changes in their own work and workplaces.

>One of the wonderful aspects of having an international exam is that
wherever we travel or move to most major countries will know our
qualification.  I for one would be sad to see the knowledge split into
countries with each one believing their qualification is so much better than
another.  I am concerned about this issue within Australia itself with the
advent of other standards.

>As to the cost, my experience in Perth is that people do not like the cost
involved but as more health professionals sit the exam the more the
pressure/desire grows and the cost becomes less of a factor to them --
several midwives in Perth have been reimbursed by their hospitals.

>Can you hold formal study groups?  This can prove to be very encouraging
and allows those who have experienced the frustrations, to help future
candidates fee less alone and confused.  As to the resources needed, someone
or an association may like to purchase textbooks and hire them out (the
books will pay for themselves over a period of time).

>I feel sure that the IBLCE office will be able to help you and I also
suggest that you contact Ros Escott in Tasmania Australia who looks after
the exam in this "neck of the woods".

>If you would like to fax me direct please do so on 61 9 2998502.  I'm
afraid I have no idea when my modem will be back so emailing is out for the
present.