From:
Jeanne Cygnus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:42:08 -0500
Hi all,
      Couple of quick thoughts I wanted to throw out there regarding various
companies, marketing, and profit.  While I agree 100% that we need to look
closely at any particular company's goals and practices before throwing our
support behind them, I'm a little uneasy with the statements that have been
made along the lines of 'since all companies are seeking to make a profit,
none of them are our friends'.  Absolutely I agree that the ideal in
breastfeeding relationships does not require any 'stuff' (pumps, bottles,
etc.), the reality is that the moms most of us work with, often DO need some
form of equipment due to their particular situations.  I'd much rather
direct these moms to a company that is TRYING to be as breastfeeding
friendly as possible, than to companies that are actively undermining
breastfeeding.  In most cases these moms will be turning to SOME company.
	Just the fact that they are 'out to make money' does not make a
company evil!  If that were the case, then most of US would have some
serious questions to ask ourselves!   Using that line of reasoning, *I* must
fall into that category as well!  I run a lactation clinic to help moms and
babies who are in trouble with their breastfeeding relationship.  I get paid
for the services that I offer. I market my services. Does this mean that I'm
'out to make a profit' on mom's who struggle?  Does this mean that my
ultimate goal *must be* for problems to occur, because moms who have no
problems do not pay me for assistance? NO! The need exists whether I am in
business or not. Yes, in order to stay in business I must make a profit...
however, my view is that I am keeping my business going and growing in order
that I can ultimately make a difference in individual families, my
community, and ultimately the world!  I most *certainly* am not out to
undermine breastfeeding success and ease just so that I can raise my profit
margin.  All of us who earn money from our work as LCs, whether in a
hospital setting, private practice, public health etc.  'make money' from
those who struggle.  I don't believe that ANY of us are 'not friends of
breastfeeding'.
	Now I certainly understand that not all companies have pure motives,
but the fact is there IS a need, whether perceived or real, for certain
products.  I'd much rather support a company who fills that need honorably,
than one who does not.  Obviously time will tell whether the company being
discussed will fulfill all its promises, but I'm at least keeping my fingers
crossed!

Best wishes,
Jeanne

Jeanne Cygnus, IBCLC, RLC