From:
Barbara Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2017 08:24:43 -0400
Dear Pat,
I read the question the other day posed by Virginia and have been
pondering it. I think the answer is yes.
Pat, your response makes me wonder if deeper clipping is really the
answer. When I have asymmetry in nipple pain, or a baby that nurses
differently on one side vs. another, I think of body work of some sort.
I was just at the USLCA conference and Alison Hazelbaker was talking
about the physiology of breastfeeding and it really is amazing babies
are so resilient.
So, back to vasospasms, if a baby is unable to nurse well on one side
due to a physical issue, often from birth, clipping deeper is not the
answer and whatever this physical issue is can cause a vasospasm in one
nipple!
Has this baby had body work? I use this term because there are different
types. I would suggest someone who is well recommended and has lots of
training and experience with babies.
Most likely you have thought of this already but just wanted to make
sure. Also, having body work AGAIN after a frenulum release is
important. It isn't just the tongue that shifts from a release.
My two cents.
Warmly,

--

Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC, RLC