From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:20:06 -0400
Dear Pat, sometimes when mom getting very tired and discouraged I rec a
bottle in middle of night, just to make it a little easier all around.
Sometimes they use it and sometimes they don't.  "permission" to use it
sort of defuses the situation.  I suggest mom pump while dad feeds at this
fdg.  It also doesn't seem to make the whole process of getting baby to
breast go on any longer because of a bottle.  Maybe others have had
opposite experiences.
 Re: slow finger feeding, large tube?  Source of milk level with baby's
head or higher?  SNS - both tubes released?  All of these will make milk
flow faster, as baby gets better at sucking, change tube size, then close
off opposite tube.  Had  one stubborn little boy who finger fed for 18
days, then used shield with SNS tube under it (he wanted milk FAST) and
with in 2-3 days mom eliminated tube and then shield on her own at home by
watching baby for signs that he would tolerate the next change.  Originally
he had been absolutely hysterical at breast.  We just worked on feeding him
and helping him forget why he didn't like to be at breast.  Sincerely, Pat
in SNJ