From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:01:57 -0500
But more seriously...I agree with those who say that "flat" nipples can't
really be diagnosed prenatally, or that you can't really predict how well a
given mom/baby will do with any particular set of nipples. BUT some
assessment of breasts prenatally is imperative, because it gives the
practitioner the chance to talk with a woman about her breasts. I discuss
the breast changes she's noted during the pregnancy, ask about any breast
surgeries (surprising how women may not mention it unless you ask!), but
mostly use it as a chance to share the information we know about almost all
women being able to BF, how the body automatically starts milk production
with the delivery of the placenta, etc...Basic education, in terms that the
woman you're talking to can understand & be comfortable with - a chance that
shouldn't be missed to share good factual information about how the whole
thing works. When women complain about breast enlargement, tenderness,
prenatal leaking, etc., it's a good opportunity to say, "That's GREAT - it
tells you that your body is doing the job it's meant to do, getting ready to
make milk for your baby!".

Leave no teachable moment unexploited, I say!

Cathy Bargar