From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:26:21 -0700
I've been asked to share the request below:

Please do not send "barbs" to this staff member, who has been working hard to create wonderful handouts (see www.wicworks.ca.gov) and educational trainings for staff in WIC throughout California.

WIC Participants often are REQUIRED to work 34 hours/week in order to maintain elegibility in various programs - and many of them work in jobs that are not supportive of breastfeeding, despite the Lactation Accommodation Law in California (it only applies to certain sized employers and has little "teeth" as there is only a $100 fine, which, we understand has never been applied.)

Many WIC clients then give up breastfeeding totally - so the Breastfeeding Education Committee would like to create a handout that addresses the topic of combination feeding and:

1. Encourages NOT to combination-feed if at all possible

2. Suggests alternatives to combination-feeding, such as other foods if the child is over 6 months old, scheduling work-time and having baby brought to the mom.

3. The main topic will be why combination feeding is still better than stopping completely and how to do it.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

Calfornia, USA
The WIC Branch is considering developing a breastfeeding handout on the topic of  combo breastfeeding.  If you are currently using one in your agency, or know of one, can you fax it to me at the number listed below.  The Breastfeeding Education Committee will be meeting next Tuesday, October 4, to begin work on this topic.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Janet Hill, MS, RD, IBCLC
WIC Supplemental Nutrition Branch
Breastfeeding Promotion Unit
3901 Lenanne Drive