From:
Lisa Amir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 22:17:34 +1100
> Someone once pointed out that a woman who breastfeeds for a relatively
short
> period of time (less than 6 months, for example) usually talks about how
long
> she "breastfed" her baby.  A woman, OTOH, who breastfeeds for a long time
--
> more than a year, generally talks about how long she "nursed" her baby.

Jan,
This may be so in the US, but not in Australia. As Joy A said the term
breastfeeding is not at all clinical here, just descriptive. Someone who
fed longer would say just that eg I fed my second child for x months/yrs. I
was discussing this a couple of days ago with Kathy Dettwyler; actually one
of the speakers had on a slide "baby fed x months".
I don't suppose we are all going to be happy with one word, but it's
interesting to discuss these issues!
Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia.
PS Congrats to the new IBCLCs! (and those recertifying too).