From:
Lee & Karen Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:39:19 +1300
I have been following these discussions with interest and feeling the pain that fellow lactnetters and their clients  have when needed to be apart from their young breastfed child.  It is an sad indictment on our modern society but that is a VERY long story.

I too, was experiencing this pain deeply one day when I was driving around visiting postnatal clients knowing that my young toddler was needing me, as well as the 3 older children (whom I had the luxury of staying home with).  I then had one of those enlightening moments!  I can even picture the street I was on as I stopped the car, phoned my husband on my cell and said "quit your job and stay home with the kids".  Wow - why hadn't we thought of that sooner.  I was earning more at the time but struggling to be a good midwife inbetween the needs of my family.

My husband was delighted.  I got a "wife".  He got to fix up the house.  The kids had an at home parent.  The toddler bonded with his dad like superglue and financially - it made very little difference once the extra costs of 2 parents working were taken out.  And I got to keep breastfeeding my gorgeous toddler  and treasure those moments like pure gold.  You see - he was my last baby.

Karen Palmer
Midwife and IBCLC
New Zealand