From:
Deanne Francis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:08:01 -0600
Hello to all of you breastfeeding supporters.
This is by way of introduction before I ask a question.  I am a
hospital-based RN, LCCE and IBCLC living in Provo, Utah.  My name is Deanne
Francis.
 I work two days a week as a nurse and lactation consultant for the regional
Newborn ICU, and one day a week for a large health care corporation doing
inpatient rounds, outpatient lactation consults and telephone consults.  I
also teach prenatal breast feeding classes, as well as BF classes to the
NICU moms.
I have worked in NICU for 30 years (I was there before monitors!!) and have
taught prenatal and breastfeeding classes for the same length of time both
for the hospital, and for a private OB/GYN clinic.  I started the first
prenatal classes taught in this county.
Five years ago I took a CLE course and then started studying for the boards
with my daughter, and we took and passed them together. (Any other
mother-daughter RN/IBCLC teams out there?)
I have nursed six children successfully (including one with a submucous
cleft who has Shprintzen's syndrome) and helped my daughters and
daughters-in-law breast feed 15 grandchildren ( one daughter used an SNS for
her two adopted children).
Okay, now that's over------here's the question: Does anybody know of any
research or literature on depression and anxiety associated ONLY when
actually breastfeeding?  That is, the mother feels fine and has no symptoms
except when she is actually breastfeeding.  I know there are "lactational
headaches" and some doctors blame prolonged postpartum depression on
breastfeeding, but this is a new one on me.  Her doctor wants her not to
breastfeed this baby because she had this problem after her last two babies.
It appears that the mother really DOES want to breastfeed, and is a very
nurturing individual.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Deanne