From:
Sally Elmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:41:43 -0400
The common question I am asked is "how do you burp your baby after a feed?"
I generally say to the Mums that it is always worth giving the baby a
chance to bring up any wind they have, just by sitting them upright after
they have fed, but not to dwell on it for too long.
At that point, most of them start patting the baby on the back in an effort
to work the wind up and ask "is that right?"

A few years ago I read comical point of view in a parenting book and I
apologise for not being able to give a reference.
It went along the lines of.....

Just imagine that you have been to a really lovely restaurant and the
atmosphere and company is magical. You have eaten some wonderful food and
now the meal is finished and the waiter is coming out with the coffee and
mints......the question is how would you feel if the waiter started banging
you on the back to bring up your wind!!!!
I usually get a laugh and a nod from them.

regards
Sally Elmes
midwife IBCLC
Penrith Australia