From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 11:52:07 EDT
Jay and Barbara,
I had this problem with my daughter (now 8). I had recurrent breast
infections and an oversupply problem (did not have this with my other
babies). I used a homeopathic remedy for the infections (belladonna, in my
case), so that they always resolved within 24 hours and were not terribly
difficult to deal with, but they did keep returning until I used a
calcium/magnesium supplement. Within several weeks, I no longer had either
problem. I never had another breast infection while nursing her for 4 1/2
more years.
    I have been off the list this week due to a breast infection (my ds is
almost 2, so I was surprised) in one breast and an abscess in the other! I
have never before had an abscess in 11 years of nursing. Anyway, I treated
the infection (quite red and angry, with a fever and chills) with a castor
oil pack and lots of nursing. It resolved completely within about 36 hours.
The abscess was new to me (right near the nipple, so painful w/ latch-on),
but I treated w/ a castor oil pack followed by a poultice of grated potato
(organic--this matters to me, may not be necessary to others), which I left
on all night. In the morning, it had completely drained. I applied colloidal
silver (a natural antibacterial) to the open wound and I took some propolis
(natural antibiotic from bees) the next day and that was it. Hope this might
help someone else who is not thrilled w/ taking antibiotics as a first line
of defense.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA