Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:59:30 EDT
I know from my LC experience that there can be small bumps on a person's
fingers that---while not outright "sores"---can be herpetic when cultured and can
transmit herpes to the baby.  The doctor who told me this mentioned that these
bumps often appear on people who work with their hands a lot.  Because of
this, I never recommend that a mom let the baby suck on her finger, nor do I
teach women to de-latch the baby by sliding a finger into the mouth.  Rather, I
just have them pull on the cheek enough to break the seal.  I also never have a
mom finger-feed anymore unless wearing a finger cot (and no history of latex
allergies!).

Heather Kelly, MA, IBCLC
NYC, NY