Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:11:49 EST
Dear Lactnet,
    Regarding the mom subpoenaed to court to testify and the dilemma of her
nursing baby:  I was called to testify in a wrongful death case 6 years ago.
Also, called to testify was my friend with a 3 month old nursling.  We stayed
in the "green" room until needed and she was able to breastfeed as needed.
    Prior to this trial I had to testify before the Grand Jury.  I was called
at 9 and kept waiting until noon.  I HAD to pick up my daughter from
pre-school and told the attorney I needed to leave.  When he said no, I left
anyway!  The bailiff met me in the stairway and threatened to jail me for
contempt of court......they knocked Dr Michael Baden (the famous pathologist)
off the stand in order to put me on, called my pre-school and had them attend
to my daughter.
    Also, I was then subpoenaed for the 2nd time I was flown from Cleveland
to Charlotte at their expense (the plaintiff) and put up in a hotel, with
meals and a car was sent for me.  Not too shabby.  This mom might look into
expenses being paid if her testimony is needed by one specific side.
    I think she will find most courts are amenable to her circumstances
(fingers crossed).

Jan Ellen Brown IBCLC
Charlotte, NC USA