Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:03:06 EST

Janice posted about an article which was partially exerpted:

But read down the label, and the fine print, at least for
some women,  sounds considerably less appetizing: DDT (the
banned but stubbornly  persistent pesticide famous for
nearly wiping out the bald eagle), PCB's,  dioxin,
trichloroethylene, perchlorate, mercury, lead, benzene,
arsenic.  When we nurse our babies, we feed them not only
the fats, sugars and proteins  that fire their immune
systems, metabolisms and cerebral synapses. We also  feed
them, albeit in minuscule amounts, paint thinners,
dry-cleaning  fluids, wood preservatives, toilet
deodorizers, cosmetic additives, gasoline  byproducts,
rocket fuel, termite poisons, fungicides and  flame
retardants.

For anyone that has time and wants an interesting read, get Michael
Crichton's new book, "State of Fear".  I finished it off last night (bought  it for my
dh for C'mas -- I'm hoping he'll read it during our vacation at the  beach in
August....)  Anyway, a really excellent chapter (entitled The  State of Fear)
includes a rather substantive rant by a retired university  professor who
discusses his theory that the American people, since 1989, have  been controlled
by the big three -- Politics, Litigation, and Media.  The  more I thought
about what he wrote -- nothing to do w/ breastfeeding, by the  way, but this fits
right into it -- the more I realized that he was right.   In many ways, we are
controlled by fear.  The book is a novel,  substantially about global warming
-- but is probably the first novel I've read  that not only has footnotes and
graphs, but a 20 page bibliography at the  end.  Crichton is probably best
known for Jurassic Park, The Andromeda  Strain, and developing the TV show, ER.

All this negative press on breastfeeding -- to ratchet up, yet again, our
state of fear....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Wheaton  IL
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com