From:
barbara brock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 19:33:07 +0800
This is my first posting.  I have a friend who is breastfeeding and recently
diagnosed with hyperthyroidism...has seen an endocrinologist who recommends
a thyroid scan which she must stop breastfeeding for 56 hrs. I believe.  She
really does NOT want to have to stop breastfeeding even for a short period
of time.  Anyone have any advise/experience on other options available?  I
presume the reason for the halt on breastfeeding to be because of the
radioactive iodine.  Can you have it done without, or in a different
way(ultrasound,etc)?  Do you know reasons/guidelines on how long you might
wait before HAVING to have some diagnostic work done?

THanks for you expertise.  ANYTHING will help.

Barbara Brock
from Macau (former portuguese colony, now part of China)
LLLLeader
IBCLC