Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:51:47 EDT
Dear Friends:
    Kim's post about breast cancer and the American Cancer Society reminded
me of something. Of course, we want as much funding as possible to go towards
research on this terrible scourge, which affected 180,000+ women in
1997....and 1400 men!
    About 10 years ago, I contact the ACS to see if they would put something
in their material about breastfeeding as one way of reducing risk. After many
phone calls, and being bounced around from one person to another, I was told
that there wasn't enough research to warrant mention of breastfeeding as a
way to reduce risk. Disappointing, to say the least!
    Perhaps, along with our checks, we could send letters and copies of
articles. There is a lot of good research out there that says a baby's risk
goes down by being breastfed, and also that the risk of pre- and
postmenopausal breast cancer goes down when women breastfeed at least 3
months, and longer. It would be so powerful if the ACS listed breastfeeding,
along with low-fat diet and frequent check-ups, as a recommendation.
    Breastfeeding is not the only thing one to reduce risk, but it is
something that deserves mention. Warmly, Nikki Lee