From:
Karen Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:25:32 -0500
This is such a wonderful subject, and one that is not given nearly enough
attention, IMO. This is different than the "self-attachment" that we've all see
in Righard and Alade's video (that only works with babies who are not gorked
on mom's medication from delivery; a rarity where I'm from). Baby-led latching
makes total sense, especially in our "leave nature to it" profession. I only wish
I could figure out how to implement it. I did just look at the website
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/bla.html and found it very useful. I
also searched the archives and found few posts - there was one excellent,
detailed explanation of baby-led latch by Christina M. Smillie dated March 14,
2003 that I recommend.

One reason I find this so fascinating is that a few years ago I had the chance
to assist a friend with breastfeeding at 5 days post partum. She had an
uncomplicated midwife-assisted delivery at a freestanding birthing center.
Immediately she was very sore, cracked and bleeding and could not manage
to get a comfortable feeding. I found no evidence of the usual culprits that
lend to damaged nipples, other than an inexplicably shallow latch. I used every
latch and position trick I knew to help her achieve a deep latch, even using a
full assist with the "perfect" asymmetric technique. Nothing worked. I was
very upset to leave her with no answers.

She called a few weeks later to let me know that she had hired a private
IBCLC who had her put the baby NOT tummy to tummy, but in what we would
normally consider a poor position - cradle hold with baby lying on her back
next to mom, turning her head to latch. The LC had my friend leave the latch
completely to the baby, who was finally able to latch comfortably for the first
time ever. I don't know more of the details, like the exact position of the baby
once latched, or whether the baby's bottom was pulled in close. My friend
continued to use this technique and saw immediate relief from her soreness,
healed quickly, and continued to breastfeed her thriving baby to this day, now
age 2 yrs.

I was so frustrated to find that 1) the complete opposite of what I had been
taught was ultimately the solution and 2) that another IBCLC seemed to know
something I had never heard of! Why aren't we putting more emphasis on this?
Perhaps baby-led latching is the answer to those moms who are put off by our
awkward cross-cradle-too-many-pillows-asymmetric technique that feels so
unnatural to them.

I still want to know more! If anyone has any more stories, details,
explanations, etc (pro or con), I'd love to hear them. Thanks to the original
poster for bringing up such a relevant topic.

Karen Wilson, IBCLC
Thornton, CO