From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 05:18:31 -0700
Warning...the following is a rant!  Not accusing or
finger-pointing.  Just need to vent.  Skip if you
wish.

I have a firm dislike for the phrase "near term" when
describing what is in reality a PRETERM infant.  I
think it is important to remember that TERM is defined
as 37 COMPLETED weeks in the literature.  37 completed
weeks...hmmm...37 weeks plus 7 days (a complete
week)...could this be?  Oh my goodness!  38 WEEKS!

Where did the "near term" phrase come from?  There
were already accurate phrases in place...reminds me of
the new trend of labeling cars as
"pre-owned"...whatever happened to "used"?
Straightforward.  Simple.

Aaarrrgh!

Sorry for all the capitals.  I can't underline in my
e-mails.

Respectfully and Lovingly,
Carole Jernigan
who sees the effects of preterm birth and pit
inductions on BFing almost every time I go to
work...another heavy sigh.