From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:45:14 -0500
Cindy,

Thanks for tackling this subject that has such a wide variety of opinions
even among breastfeeding supporters.  Our opinions run the gamut from "It's
perfectly natural, so every nursing mother should be as open (blatant?)
about it as possible otherwise how will we ever convince the rest of the
world that it is OK, natural, not sexual, etc." to the view that, "We have
to be sensitive to the feelings of those around us and will just give
breastfeeding a bad name if we are too open about it."  I personally find
myself alternating between the two camps.  I look forward to the day when
breastfeeding in public will be considered as acceptable as bottle feeding
in public is today.  The best way to arrive at that point is where the
question lies.

You asked specifically about how we teach about public breastfeeding.  I try
to present an approach that tells a mom she can do whatever she is
comfortable with while reassuring her that there is nothing inherently wrong
and everything right about meeting your baby's needs whenever and wherever
she may be.  I talk about society's attitudes and include a couple cartoons
illustrating them.  It is ironic that our society seems to accept thong
swimsuits, wet T-shirt contests, braless look that leaves nothing to the
imagination, cleavage down to (and even beyond) the navel, but cringes at
the thought of nursing a baby in public!  I point out the fact that many
states have passed a variety of laws protecting her right to nurse in public
and mention that we are laughed at by some other areas of the world for even
needing such laws. However, I then go on to show examples of how to nurse so
that others aren't aware that you are doing so.  I let them know that it is
their decision, and that if they do choose to nurse in public, they have
every right to do so. I suggest trying it themselves in front of a mirror so
they can see that very little is exposed except perhaps for a brief moment
when latching.  A screaming, very unhappy baby attracts a lot more stares
than quietly meeting baby's need to nurse does.   I also like to discuss how
myself, and others I have talked to have become more relaxed about it with
each child we had.  I give an example of how I sat in a small waiting room
once a week when my youngest was an infant and my oldest was having
treatments every week.  I nursed the baby whenever he needed it without
either being blatant about it or trying to hide what I was doing.  After
several weeks, I learned that at least one woman who was sitting in the same
small room with me every week had never been aware that I had been nursing
at least once each time!

Winnie Mading, IBCLC, mom to 3 adults who were nursed when it wasn't that
popular.