From:
Lorri Centineo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:05:31 -0400
Dear Tonya,

A few months ago a lovely Lactnetter from NJ posted that a curriculum for
grades K-12 was and is being used in New York State.  I wrote to this
address asking if they'd share and a few weeks later we (Maine State
Breastfeeding Task Force) had a copy in hand.  Thanks very much to whoever
posted the tip in the first place!!!  What I've seen so far looks great and
will save a ton of work!!!

Director: Bureau of Child and Adolescent Health
New York State Department of Health
Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Albany, New York 12237-0618

I would be surprised if Texas didn't have one also.

A great coloring book available from International Childbirth Education
Association (they have a web site) that costs about 25 cent is called
"Helping Mommy Breastfeed," and is geared more toward explaining the
breastfeeding of a new sibling and how the older child fits in.  There are
many pages in it, however, that are helpful for educating most small
children.  Several children's books that depict breastfeeding as normal can
be found in La Leche League's Catalog and I've run into several at
educational toy stores.

IMO watching, seeing breastfeeding is the best educator of all.  I've seen
and heard little kids talk about breastfeeding and I remember speaking
openly of it as a child.  Just this summer I heard one little boy give the
vet's assistant at the zoo a difficult time because she was feeding a lamb a
bottle. "So," he asked boldly as he pointed to a (his?) mom nursing her baby
on a park bench, "don't you think a baby lamb otta get his milk from his
mama?"
:o) ;o)

Good luck,
Lorri Centineo