Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:40:54 EDT
Hi Lactnetters,

I have searched the archives and some other places too, but am having trouble
finding some information on snake bites and breastfeeding.  I have a mother -
6 weeks postpartum, bitten by a full grown copperhead.  She is receiveing
treatment now in an ICU and is being told to pump and dump, which she is
doing.  I told her to stop dumping until I can find out if she needs to.
Baby is being fed milk mom had already pumped and back logged.

I vaguely remember something about venom traveling throught the lymphatic
system rather than the blood stream - does that have any bearing here?  The
bite is already 24 hours old.  I am continuing my search in order to give her
an answer as soon as possible - tonight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lisa Updike
Roanoke, VA