From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 18:19:31 -0700
In our WIC we do have IBCLCs-- I am one of them-- and we have a referral
system set up. We made up forms that either the hospital or the visiting
nurses (they see moms within 72 hours of discharge) can fax to us when they
have a mom who needs more help.  Our hospital also has some of our pumps and
will issue them for us.

So I'm thinking that this could work in reverse. First talk to the WIC
breastfeeding coordinator about what services they *do* offer and how they
handle breastfeeding problems. Share your idea and see what thoughts they
also have. Then, when you have their blessing, talk to the people you want
moms referred to and find out what info they would want. Make up a form
according to their needs (what hospital LCs might want is different from
what we need at our WIC facility) and a system to fax the referral.

I'm all about networking community resources instead of everyone working in
their own little corner. With a little diplomacy, everyone wins!

Lisa Marasco, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Santa Barbara County WIC