From:
Jacquie Nutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2010 06:20:05 +0200
Hello Sarah

Study of one: My son had similar but only one incisor was affected and
removed at about the age of 2 years.  Breastfeeding or not afterwards was
such a non-issue that I cannot remember even considering delaying, let alone
being ordered not to.  I just recall that it was hard denying breastfeeding
for that short time before anaesthesia.  Your son may have more of a wound,
true.

In my experience, the mouth generally heals amazingly quickly compared to,
say, cut fingers and gouged toes.   If breastfeeding DOES have a detrimental
effect, or hurts, no doubt your son will refuse to breastfeed for a time.

As far as "allowed" goes... who is in charge of this gorgeous child?  The
hired help?   No, the concerned mother who is doing all in her power to
answer questions before the event, but who will be assessing and going on
her instincts afterwards, like a mother tiger :-))

One last comment.....what I am sorry about now is that my son's other teeth
were not held in place somehow.  The milk teeth eased over into the gap and
the permanent teeth came out a little crooked, unlike my daughter's
beautifully positioned "breastfed palate" teeth.  And guess what - the
identically positioned tooth was broken when he was 10 and he now has a
built up tooth there, sigh.

Best wishes to you both
Jacquie Nutt IBCLC
South Africa