From:
Mandy O'Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:35:23 -0500
As one who has personally been there and done that I would like to comment
on managing the baby with a small lower jaw. Essentially there are two
looming problems that need to be addressed rapidly: Moms milk supply may
become a battle to keep due to the poor stimulation, potential low milk
transfer and stress. I would start her expressing asap by what ever means
she is most comfortable with because it is probably something she is going
to need to do long term. These babies seldom latch one hundred percent and
there are usually problems with weight gain. I would definitely try using
a nipple sheild ( sometimes supporting the babies lower jaw gently with a
finger also can help). Using a supply line with EBM may also be a
solution. Unfortunately this problem does not go away one learns to manage
it based on the princilpes of ensuring mothers milk supply and adequate
milk transfer to the babe. The moms tend to need a lot of support and it
is crucial to follow up on weight gain. Even if the outcome is expressing
and feeding the baby EBM long term it is still a far better solution than
formula. It may be worth mentioning to mom that even bottle feeding can be
dificult if the jaw is truly recessed.

Kind Regards
Mandy O'Reilly
RN Midwife IBCLC