From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 12:47:48 +0000
Mary - I wanted to clarify.  Your group's IBCLC isn't allowed to see your
pts in hosp or isn't allowed to chart on your pts?  Most hospital charting
includes a section for notes from allied health professionals (OT, PT,
Resp.therapy etc.).
Have her apply for privileges as an allied health professional.

Another solution for your group (so you all know what is going on, how BF
progressing, if LC was in to see pt, etc.) would be to keep a manilla folder
(the kind with a pocket) in a bright color in the bedside drawer of your
patients.  The folders could be pre-stuffed with things you want to use
with, or go over with, your patients.  Whoever is in to see mom (dr, CNM, or
LC)would look at checklist in folder and know what had been covered and what
still needed to be done.  I worked in a small hosp. (1500 deliveries/yr) and
we were accustomed to giving each pt. info from her particular OB.  This
wouldn't be any different.  Mom admitted.  Folder put at her bedside.  (Or
am I trusting too much? Whatever- your staff would all know if she doesn't
have one, get one).
Pat Young in SNJ, USA