From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 06:56:50 +0100
Hi Anne

In the hospitals in Harare, Zimbabwe, where I did private practice
consults, the paediatricians always used consistent protocols for
babies who were not breastfeeding direct:
Day 1-2,  60ml/kg/day
Day 2-3,  90ml/kg/day
Day 3-4, 120ml/kg/day
Day 4-5 to Day 10, 150ml/kg/day
 From Day 10, 180ml/kg/day

It took me years to find a reference for these quantities, but Eats
on Feets cite a very similar protocol in the 1993 WHO Breastfeeding
Counselling Course, p 127.  Unfortunately the online version of the
document doesn't contain page numbers.... but here's how to find it:
Go to
<http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/pdfs/bc_participants_manual.pdf>http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/pdfs/bc_participants_manual.pdf
Scroll down to Part 3, Session 26, Low Birthweight and Sick Babies,
which is between two-thirds and three-quarters of the way through the document
Scroll through this session to the fifth page until you reach the
heading AMOUNT OF MILK FOR BABIES WHO CANNOT BREASTFEED and then the
sub-heading Amount of milk to give.
You will reach the following info:

Babies who weigh 2.5 kg or more:
         150 ml milk per kg body weight per day.
         Divide the total into 8 feeds, and give 3-hourly.
Babies who weigh less than 2.5 kg (Low-birth-weight)
         Start with 60 ml/kg body weight.
         Increase the total volume by 20 ml per kg per day, until the
baby is taking a
         total of 200 ml per kg per day.
         Divide the total into 8-12 feeds, to feed every 2-3 hours.
         Continue until the baby weighs 1,800 g or more, and is fully
breastfeeding.
         Check the baby's 24-hour intake.
         The size of individual feeds may vary.

[Me again]  I hope this helps.  And if anyone can send in another,
more recent protocol, citing exact source and where to find it, I'd
be very grateful!!

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England