Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:39:21 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Jennifer,
I had a similar case, that stands out in my mind, about 4 years ago. Baby primarily had a very receeding chin. His frenulum was fine but his tongue did not extend very far beyond gum line. He tried to latch but dimpled the cheeks, clicked and was unable to sustain suckling at the breast. We tried assymetric latch to try to get as much chin into the breast as possible without success. Mom fingerfed for the first week and pumped and was becoming exhausted even with Dad's help. She went to the bottle by about 10 days and came back weekly to see me. She pumped well and got a good milk supply. About week 4 we tried a nipple shield. Baby was able to latch, maintain a latch and get good milk transfer. It helped that her supply was plentiful and of course, that she was wanting this to work. Her baby went on to breastfeed with the shield for many months, trying on occasion to wean from the shield so she could breastfeed more easily when away from home. Her baby breastfed for three ye
ars and was weaned from the shield after a few months of use. His growth and development helped. My only regret is not trying the shield earlier like at her first visit back to see me. Good luck
Jane Ciaramella RNC, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2