From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:30:23 PST
Heather
You are so right to say <<But surely stools and urine, like weight, are only
two parts of the jigsaw that makes up the picture of health?>>
In the US anyway, unfortunately, many bf families "fall thru the cracks" as
we say, becoz of early discharge from hospital (by far the most common place
to give birth in US) and routinely seeing a hcp (typically the pediatrician)
not until 2 wks of age. Therefore, I feel the need to be as specific as
possible. Let's say the baby is having 2 yellow "good sized" bm's and the
mom calls me becoz she has been led to believe this is inadequate. I would
rather her call me and I can question and assess the other indicators of
good bf, than for someone to not call me thinking that 6 little dark smears
on the diaper in a day constitutes "plenty of dirty diapers". So this is all
becoz of a bf unfriendly or bf ignorant culture where families do needs lots
of guidance and support establishing bf.  What do peer counselors in US Wic,
LLL and NMAA etc say in re stooling?

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA