From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:35:13 -0400
>Perhaps, rather than teaching mothers OTHER ways to calm an unhappy baby, we
>should be helping them see how easy it is to incorporate very frequent
>nursing into their daily life.

... and that it is perfectly normal and healthy.
I recently tried out a new response to a comment I get frequently. When a stranger on a plane asked, 'How do you manage?' I said, 'I breastfeed them'. It may not have been the answer she was expecting, which is more along the Ol' Mother Hubbard lines, but she went on to ask how that could be done with twins. I think I must be getting better at acting like I'm not quite so far out in left field (not sure whether this is good or not, but it might be as normal as breastfeeding or getting old) because I just said, 'Well, sometimes together and sometimes one at a time.'

I did this, of course, because I was missing my kids, but I was also hoping she would pass along this message to her daughter or grand-daughter: 'I met a woman who had 7 children, including two sets of twins. She breastfed them all and she wasn't all that odd...' LOL

Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, PhD, IBCLC, career volunteer and WAHM to many... and a bit odd.