From:
Frances Coss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 13:49:26 -0500
At 12:06 PM 1/2/01 -0500, [log in to unmask] (Gloria Buoncristiano) wrote:
>Binding a dog's teats
>One of my neighbor's dog gave birth 4 weeks ago.  They were breeding
>and will make quite a bit of money.
>The pups have been separated from the mom and they have bound her.

Dear Gloria,
What you witnessed is not completely wrong.  A responsible breeder has
started to feed the puppies food by 4-5 weeks, thus the weaning begins.  It
was old advice to wean a puppy at 5 weeks, but these days, the breeder
could let the pups nurse until 10+ weeks, or until they go to their new
homes.  (*or until the mother says "ouch, your teeth are sharp"  "no
more!") Maybe your neighbor is from "the old school."  It is possible that
the dog has "blown" her breast/s, from mastitis complications.  This is
indeed painful and the puppies must be weaned in order to let the mother
heal, with no stimulation to her breasts.  The breast explodes and surgery
is required, while the breast tissue is removed and that "teat"
unusable.  The dog is "wrapped" alone the backbone so that is very tight
across the breast area.  This supports the dog and minimizes stimulation.
BTW,  is your neighbor a breeder of purebred dogs?    How many litters a
year does she breed?  What kind of a dog does she have?  You may email me
personally, so as not to clog up the list.  Frances Coss ([log in to unmask])