Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:24:39 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I had a chance to see this recently and while it was good on birth, I was quite dissappointed regarding its handling (or should I say non-handling) of breastfeeding.  To see the film you would think that a good birth was the end of things.  I did not see any natural transition to breastfeding.  A couple moms were shown offering the breast with mom in an awkward position, pushing baby on and shaping and aiming of the nipple, but there was no skin to skin with natural infant led attachment.  In fact, at least one baby's body language was practically screaming "Let me at it" while mom was holding baby and wearing what almost looked like a fancy breast binder.  The only real mention of breastfeeding was the film director's (I think that was her role) emergency C-section of a premie who was shown briefly attempting to nurse and then later mom was giving a bottle and commenting about her problems with breastfeeding.  One scene almost made me laugh and cry at the same time.  The mom was in a birthing tub and while much of her body was under the water, nothing was left to the imagination EXCEPT she "modestly" had a cloth covering her breasts!
Anyone else have the same reaction or am I overly critical?

Winnie

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2