Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 16:12:15 +0100
Of course hand expressing should be taught to all mothers.. using a
pump is not technically easier than hands, and may be actually more
difficult (all those bits to fit together with the pump...). It is
empowering for the mother to be able to do this *herself* and not be
dependent on machinery or electricity supply. Effective hand
expressing is quick, easy and convenient and *cheap*.

The less hand expressing is mentioned, the more it becomes a lost
art. I think in countries and cultures where the pump rules, we are
under a real obligation to keep the flag flying!

I always, always talk about it when mothers ask me about pumps, and I
get a mixed reaction. Some mothers really don't want to think about
it at all, sadly, for cultural reasons.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK