From:
Theresa Chmiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 18:50:30 EST
This was on my clipper service.  Yuk.
I thought breastmilk was the first choice of doctors.
Theresa Chmiel, CLC

Abbott's Similac(R) is the First Choice of Doctors

ABBOTT PARK, Ill., Jan. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- The Ross Products Division of
Abbott Laboratories (NYSE: ABT) has received a favorable ruling allowing it
to resume use of the claim "1st Choice of Doctors" in advertising its
Similac(R) infant formulas.

On January 5, 2000, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh
Circuit reversed the opinion of the United States District Court for the
Southern District of Indiana in a case brought by Mead Johnson, makers of
Enfamil(R).  The lower court had temporarily barred Abbott from using the
claim "1st Choice of Doctors" on advertising or labeling for Similac -- but
had recognized the validity of the claim for Isomil(R).

In issuing its opinion, the appellate court found that the "absolute and
relative preferences for Similac are substantial."  The court stated that
"more than a score of surveys show that pediatricians prefer Similac over
Enfamil..." and that in those surveys Enfamil never beats Similac.  In fact,
a number of those surveys showed Similac is preferred by doctors 2 to 1 over
Enfamil -- "in politics this would be a landslide," said the court.

"Abbott research has demonstrated that its Similac and Isomil brands are the
first choice of doctors and we know that physicians' specific brand
recommendations are important to parents," said Joy Amundson, president of
the Ross Products Division of Abbott Laboratories.  "Abbott is pleased with
the court's decision recognizing what we have always maintained, that Similac
and Isomil are the first choice of doctors and are preferred over Enfamil and
other infant formulas.  Our claims are truthful and substantiated," said
Amundson.

The Ross Products Division of Abbott Laboratories is a longtime leader in the
United States and international marketplace, well known for the manufacturing
and marketing of leading brands such as Similac infant formula and Ensure(R)
adult nutritional products.

Abbott Laboratories is a global, diversified health care company devoted to
the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of pharmaceutical,
diagnostic, nutritional and hospital products.  The company employs 56,000
people and markets its products in more than 130 countries.