Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:28:44 -0800
Crystal said:
>>His mother called saying the dentist
said it was caused by nursing all night in the lying down position.  This
toddler was breastfed for 15 months(now 18 months old) and never had a
bottle.
The dentist stated to the mother that all babies should be weaned by 12
months to help prevent this problem.  Can any of you comment on having seen
this in your practice or way to handle the dentist's comment?<<

My last also had to have several of his teeth capped due to decay.  I
noticed that some of his teeth actually came in with what looked they were
chiped.  I talked to my regular dentist about this with I started noticeing
this.  He is the bishop of our ward at church and already knew about his
hospitalization for a month after birth.  He said that antibiotics that he
recieved during his ordeal in the NICU most likely caused this damage.  He
also felt that the steriods may of also been to blame.  When I took him to
the first pedodontis he was like this woman's dentist and first tried to
give me a lecture on night bottle feedings.  I told him he never used a
bottle and he started telling me that nursing was the same.  He also was not
going to allow me in the exam room during any treatments.  I told him I was
not going to be back.  (btw, none of my other children had any toothdecay
until grade school.)  The second pedodontis also comfirmed what my Dentist
said about the antibiotics.  He also said the there has also been evidence
that when the mother has a fever at a certain time during the pregnancy that
it can also cause more tooth decay and heredity also plays a role.
If anyone has of any sources of more information on antibotics and/or
steroids causing tooth decay or other problems I would much appreciate the
help.  TIA
~Zena, Lactation Counselor & Financial Consultant in Las Vegas
mother of Thad 14yo; Thea 11yo; Sariah 6yo; & Charles 4yo
www.zillioniare.com & www.wmas.com
www.slingsnthings.com

"If it wasn't *hard* then everyone would be doing it!  It *is* the *hard*
that makes it Great!"~ From the movie "A League of Their Own"