From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:18:13 +1000
I'll give you the long version of this request because it just goes to show
how small the world can be.
I received an interesting email. Yesterday on one of the Sydney talkback
radio stations they had a naturopath taking calls and he received a call
from a woman asking if there was anything she could do to help her 10 month
old daughter who is waiting for a liver transplant, she was worried that her
daughter is going to be on immunosuppressive drugs but will be doing the
typical baby stuff and eating everything in sight, she wanted to know if
there was anything that she could do to increase  her child immune system
without compromising any transplant. He basically said there was nothing
that could be done but didn't enquire about whether she was breastfeeding. I
sent an email to the radio station suggesting that breastmilk could help and
that if this woman was not breastfeeding she could perhaps relactate or may
get milk from a close family member or friend tp help her daughter. Well
they read my email out and the naturopath agreed with what I said(did say he
hadn't asked about breastfeeding because most 10 month olds are weaned!) and
because I had used my initials they referred to me as Dr and made it sound
like I was an MD.

This morning I received an email from a woman who had gotten my address from
the radio station. She has PCOS and a 7 month old son and has struggled with
supply since the beginning. She sounds llike she has been through the mill,
has really gone searching for help (not necessarily helpful- Dr gave
Domperidone but only for a month, said could not continue on it) faced
breast refusal (and told by hospital staff to wean after travelling distance
to see them) and  has been using a supply line and pumping. A really
dedicated mum. What she really needs is to find an IBCLC who is going to be
able to support her and help her. If there was an IBCLC who is also an MD I
think that that would be best for her situation. She lives S of Canberra but
would travel to Sydney to see someone who could help. Any Aussie Lacnetters
got some people I could suggest to her??

The strange part about this story is that I realised after I read the email
that this woman is actually my aunt (she obviously has not twigged to who I
am)! Married to my uncle who distanced himself from the rest of the family 6
or so years ago (she's just a couple of years older than me). So apart from
the fact that this woman needs help my baby cousin is involved!

Karleen Gribble
Australia