From:
Bbestfeed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:36:26 EDT
Diane,

My son who also had absolutely NO bottles also had 2 cavities between his two
front teeth.  The dentist automatically blamed breastfeeding!!  He never once
asked if my son ever had raisins or juice or candy.  As soon as he found out
that he was "still" nursing at 24 months and was "still" doing so at night he
said the cavities were due to his breastfeeding.  However, I also have a 5
year old (who just weaned 5 months ago, maybe) who nursed almost every hour on
the hour when he was much younger (as a newborn) and who was pretty much
latched on all night between 18 and 30 months.  He has NO cavities and perfect
teeth!  So looking back what do I think?  My youngest had candy at a much
earlier age because he had his older brother around, yes this candy was very
rare, but nevertheless he did have some.  Since that  visit to the dentist we
have limited candy to once a month and if, and only if, he will let mom or dad
finish brushing his teeth for him every night.  No more problems!

A high palate may or may not cause a problem with breastfeeding, it really
depends on the "fit" between mother's breast and baby's mouth.  The two of you
must have had the perfect fit!!  Good for you!

See ya,
Yvonne

Yvonne C. Bannister, IBCLC
Private Practice/Baby's BestFeeding
"A mother holds her baby who holds the breast . . . and gets the best!"