From:
Evelyn Landry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 21:32:28 -0500
        Does anyone have information on the effect of using boric acid
capsules as a vaginal insert and its effect if any on breastmilk?  I have a
mom who is breastfeeding an 11 month old child only about 1-2 times a day
and her Dr. has ordered the boric acid capsules to help keep her vaginal
area the proper pH to prevent the infections she has been having.  Our
hospital pharmacist called the poison control center to get information on
the absorption of the boric acid and was told about 6% of the dose would be
absorbed into her system.  With only BF 1-2 times a day my logic tells me it
probably would be safe, but I haven't been able to come up with any "proof"
of that.  If anyone has information on this, thanks in advance for letting
me know.  Evelyn