From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 22:50:47 EDT
Diana wrote:
"I did search the net and found some info including x-rays of galactoceles,  and from the Liber Herbarum II: Melilotus officinalis,  the treatment for galactoceles is listed as parsley. I could not figure out  how much, etc., <snip> wonder if parsley is helpful for
 plugged ducts.  It is one thing that I will tell Moms to eat when trying to  decrease or dry up their milk supply, (along with sage and peppermint). Does
 anyone out there use any herbals for plugged ducts?"

Diana,
I have had moms successfully use parsley compresses for plugged ducts and engorgement. I have personal experience with its use in decreasing milk supply. I make a veggie juice of carrots, clerey and collards. Last summer I, since I had lots of it fresh parsley, I decided to add it to my juice. Wow, did my milk supply drop! (It went bcak up afterwards).

" I am also interested in other's experiences with etiology of plugged ducts,
 especially dietary; I knew one mom who got them if she consummed more than a
 certain amount of dairy products. I got them if I drank diet sodas."

The dairy connection has often been a question for me. I would love to see some research on this (see, I like evidence, too!), but I do tell moms with repeated plugged ducts to try eliminating dairy. Wouldn't you think diet sodas might have a connection b/c soda decreases calcium absorption? I have found quite a few moms have success treating plugged ducts and breast infections using a calcium/magnesium supplement, in combination with treatment of the existing plug or infection.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA