Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:03:58 +0100
Well explained, Magda.

See todays Guardian
http:www.guardian.co.uk

for a (mostly) okay piece about bf and pollution. I say mostly, because
although it makes the good point that breast milk is tested as a useful way
of seeing what contaminants are in the human body it

* only mentions water(used to make up formula)  as another source of
pollution, not the cows milk itself
* says we do  not need to worry as the calculations were based on a
lifetime's exposure to breast milk ie if you were breastfed all your life,
this is the amount of toxins you'd get - and as most babies are bf for only
6 weeks and a year at most, it's okay. Hmmmmmph.

But remember this is the same paper - and the same section, too, the
Parents pages - that ran Julie Birchill's gruesome piece on the
'breastfeeding nazis' in May, so let's say they're making amends.....

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK