From:
Judy LeVan Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 11:08:05 -0500
In a message dated 12/4/2012 10:21:08 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, Jan
writes:

s..."I  guess I don't get what the problem is.  Is a formula fed baby
being  "supplemented?"  If you give a formula fed baby a bottle of formula   (or
an ounce or two or whatever), the baby is simply being *fed*, not
supplemented".
~~~
Hello all.
Interesting question. I wonder if it has to do with normalizing language
and the resultant stats: if the normal baby breastfeeds, the public health
goal  of all human babies, is exclusive breastfeeding then it would be just as
 important to document those babies that are getting "supplemented with
formula"  even if that means they have zero breastfeeding initiation, zero
feeds at  breast, zero duration of breastfeeding, and zero exclusive
breastfeeding. They  are statistically children who are weaned at birth. They are, uh,
normal ( read:  breastfeeding) babies who are completely/fully/exclusively
supplemented with  formula. I understand that this doesn't clarify
information about exclusivity of  breastfeeding for those babies that are
breastfeeding, but it might be good to  track things fully by including it? I guess this
might be redundant if there is  a category of "Never Breastfed", but it
might be more powerful to look at this  in these different ways to really show
how many babies are and are not  breastfeeding, from when in their lives,
and to what "level of  exclusivity/fullness." Not only are there a percentage
of breastfeeding  babies that are not exclusively breastfeeding, there are
also   these other babies who are formula feeding, who would also be counted
as  babies not exclusively breastfeeding ( we have even more information to
use  in a different way.)  More ways of measuring, more information  power?
Just musing,
Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL