From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:44:31 EST
In a message dated 3/28/2004 6:51:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
>. Before you can blink baby makes straight for the breast and sucks in the
nipple like a little vacuum cleaner before mum has time to think about what's
happening.  The ambulance crew are even more anxious to move, but have to wait
now while baby finishes her feed!
>Later in the hospital thoughtless person offers mum a bottle, 'Oh no, I'm
breastfeeding ' says mum. And she is still. Well I know it wasn't exactly
informed choice but what the heck?
>Hilary Myers RM IBCLC
>Somerset, England

Awww! Brilliant story : ) I AGREE!!

Lets hope the empowerment of the mother continues - sometimes the
whole thing is so *fragile* and it may not take much for
breastfeeding to crumble, so a lot depends on who she sees, and what she is
told, in the next few days and weeks.

Having said that, my experience of the strength of skin to skin and
the baby 'helping itself' is that these are the best conditions for
empowerment to become rock solid!!
Dear Friends:
    We have to remember the power of hormones. Nissen, Widstrom,
Righard,Winikoff and many others have documented the importance of baby's mouth to mom's
nipple/areola as early as possible after birth. Winikoff found in her study
that this was the most powerful factor in breastfeeding success.
    We all respect the power of hormones in our teen-aged boys and girls.
That's why we try to keep them apart until they have enough sense to take
responsibility for their actions!
    Yet many of us are surprised at the power of the hormones to shape
behavior in other situations.
    Hormones lead to behaviors and feelings.
    Thanks for this great, great story.
    warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
Maternal-Child Adjunct Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative