From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 07:47:39 -0500
I am finding the discussion about need for pumps very interesting.  Yes,
women do need to be informed about hand expression.  Have you ever looked
for GOOD written instructions.  The Marmet instructions are excellent but
they make it sound so very time consuming and complicated.  I have yet to
see a set that I can wholeheartedly tell mothers about.  A pump is
certainly tempting as it is comfortable for our gadget oriented society.
I have maintained for years, at LLL  meetings, that the only equipment a
mother truly needs is a cloth baby carrier of some type and diapers.
Just go to any baby shower and see how close that is to the cultural
norm.  I am afraid that breastpumps as essential equipment might be here
to stay.

Sarah

Sarah Friend Barnett   LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), NY  -  [log in to unmask]
" You are not obliged to finish the task,
 neither are you free to neglect it."       R. Tarfon