From:
Tracy Throckmorton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:39:54 -0800
Another possible analogy?
About 2 years ago I needed some fillings replaced that had been in my mouth
since grade school.  Being more than a little dentist phobic, I had not done
my usual amount of research prior to being asked what kind of filling I
wanted done.  The dentist reassured me that the research was not in about
the health impact of amalgam fillings and he himself had that type and was
perfectly healthy.  I had the fillings placed (only hoping to speed up the
visit and get out of there).   About that same time I developed Hashimoto's
Thyroiditis which is an autoimmune form of low thyroid which may be linked
to Mercury from fillings or other environmental exposure.  In my research
about this I have read about the link.  Yesterday I was back at the dentist
for a crown (replacing another 30 year old filling) and the dentist asked me
again if I had a preference.  I told him my concern and he said "We
definitely should not use amalgam with you"  He also added that that type of
filling will probably be phased out entirely in the next 3 years due to
health concerns.  I wonder if my answer had been similar to last time if I
would have gotten this information? I wonder if I can trust anything he
says?

I feel like mothers of young children who are concerned and anxious may
similarly be poorly informed and not in a position to fully advocate for
themselves.  Correct information delivered cruely can be damaging, but so
can less than full disclosure.  If anyone should feel guilt, it is the
healthcare provider who does not stay up to date and fully inform their
client.  Later, when the client understands the impact of the "choice" made
under duress and with only part of the necessary information and resources,
they will feel anger.  Hopefully this anger is not with themselves, but with
a system or person who let them down.

Tracy Haines Throckmorton