From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 11:22:35 EDT
Cindy, I went to this link and was not that impressed and found it a bit
deceiving.
The lead header states that back to sleep prevents SIDS.  Now when one goes
on to read the article it says reduces the incidence of SIDS but will all see
this or keep the first thought in mind?
Next they state there are no adverse outcomes for parent using the back to
sleep as appose to the stomach.  He also goes on to say that there is less
spitting up.  I can tell you that I am seeing an increase in reflux since the
back to sleep campaign and of course the solution to this problem is to tear
the mother's diet apart of switch to specialize formula.
Now, first I want to state that back to sleep has reduced SIDS but the
emphasis has been only the placing babies on their backs that practitioners
and parents are afraid to ever put their babies prone.  The negative results
of this is poor muscle tone of the neck and shoulders, increase in reflux,
and babies very irritated and uncomfortable on their stomachs once they learn
to flip over.  The other negative I observe is parents so frightened to ever
let their babies be on their stomach even when the baby is lying on a parents
chest!
When mothers come to me with reflux issues, my instructions are to hold the
baby for 10-20 mins after a feeding, then to place the baby prone on a firm
surface for at least 20 minutes while they are with the baby.  At night I
encourage them to place the baby prone on their chest.
I really feel there needs to be research on the need for frequent "tummy
time" during each day, preferably after feedings.
The other part of this article I have problems with is that they do not
identify the babies with less ear infections on what type of feeding they
received.  Want to take a guess?
What have others observed?
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, MA