From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:29:07 -0600
> I was just trying to get ideas about how to
>deal with the sleep deprivation that many women do experience and many
>women do see as a major problem and many women do blame on breastfeeding.

The underlying problem here is what would are led to expect.  In the US, we
have very strong cultural beliefs that sleep should NOT be interrupted,
that people can't function with uninterrupted sleep, that women's bodies
are weak and fragile -- all of these CULTURAL beliefs have serious
consequences.  But one of the most fundamental things we have to do is
start changing what our beliefs and attitudes.  People need to understand
that you CAN get along on interrupted sleep, that it is NORMAL for babies
to wake up at night to nurse, that it is, in fact, NORMAL for adult to wake
up at night for various reasons, that women CAN BE strong and work hard and
be powerful.

As long as we encourage and validate women's beliefs of "poor me" and
encourage and validate their beliefs that they can't function without a
full night's sleep and encourage and validate their beliefs that their baby
OUGHT TO BE sleeping through the night -- we treat only the symptoms and
not the causes of the problem.

I realize that people who do face-to-face mother support have to cope with
the symptoms, as that is what they are being paid for.  But we'll never get
anywhere, in the long run, if SOMEONE doesn't also start address the
causes.  Sure, give the women support and suggestions about how to get
their babies to sleep, or get themselves more help and support, or convince
them that they need a breastfed baby more than they need a spotless house
-- but also tell them that it is normal and natural for babies to wake up
at night!!!
-------
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email:
Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html