From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:26:41 -0500
When I sat for my test this summer, I looked around the room at all
of the women I had known for years and wondered why we were all
sitting there, taking this ridiculous test--again. I have spent the
past ten years, not only giving my best to mothers and babies, but
learning everything I possibly could  about anything and everything
that would shed light on some of the more complex breastfeeding
problems I encounter, especially related to milk supply, birth trauma
and structural difficulties, allergies and gut function and
physiological modulation of breastfeeding on the human system. I have
so much healing take place when I have been willing to help a mother
explore all of her options to solve these complex problems and
instead of being rewarded for my commitment, passion and skill, I am
expected to prove very minimal competencies and then told I have no
real framework within which to practice at all and indeed that I may
only do so if I agree to serve the very system I know is responsible
for the work I need to do every day.

While I was taking the test, I kept thinking how short-sighted it is
of the IBLCE and for all of us that we are treading water rather than
having the courage to move forward. I am not willing to spend another
ten years of my life doing that, so whether or not the IBLCE or some
other credentialing body takes a wiser turn, I will find a way to do
the work that I do. I would be much more excited to be involved in a
profession in which we come together as colleagues and teach one
another about our innovations, our hypotheses and applications of our
knowledge and skills both in a clinical sense and in a broader public
health sense. I and others have posted before that an advanced
credential is the right direction for us and during the test, I had
this same conversation with several other experienced LC's. Susan has
delineated a plan for this that I think is the most useful and
inspired idea that has come out of this whole ordeal.

I am in!
Jennifer Tow