Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:21:43 -0600
At 02:23 PM 3/12/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I think we could have a new industry here. Just sell your milk wholesale,
>where enterprising people can process and dry it,package it and sell in the
>supermarkets for big profits!   NOW AVAILABLE: Powdered Mommy Milk: The
>REAL thing

Unless the dairy industry gets their way.

There is an article in Sunday's paper that tells of the milk producer's
appeal to the FDA to prohibit the makers of soy milk from calling it
"milk." They are trying to "protect the distinct identity of their product,
which, they point out comes from 'the lacteal secretion' of cows." The milk
producers want the FDA to take "appropriate enforcement action" against the
makers of soy milk.

They suggested that the soy people call their product "soy beverage" or
Soya drink" to reflect that it is from a "non-bovine" species. It is
inappropriate to label a product, that is not from the bovine species, with
the word "milk."

The soy industry officials say that "milk" is a generic term attached to a
lot of products, such as coconut milk and Milk of Magnesia. [No mention of
human milk.] And they point out that the term "soy milk" was used in
ancient China as early as the years 25 to 220.  The dairy industry claim
that they have rights to the word, and that to call a product "soy milk"
will confuse consumers into thinking that they are getting "milk." Maybe it
will all come down to the dairy industry's being required to label their
product "cow milk."

One suggestion from the Soyfoods Assn. is to call it "soymilk"--one word.
Hey, that sounds familiar.

Of course the uproar has been created by the fact that soy milk consumption
is on the rise, and is being found in general grocery stores now.

They didn't give an address for the FDA.  Maybe they need some
enlightenment on the "original" word "milk.".

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]