From:
Elaine Ziska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:33:05 EST
In a message dated 12/23/98 10:44:19 AM Central Standard Time, Kathy writes:

<<Are there any reports of women post-transplant who breastfeed?  My suspicion
would be that the anti-rejection meds are contraindicated, but that is
really only a guess.  What meds are used after heart transplants?>>

My dh is a pharmacist with a special interest in transplantation (and much
interest in breastfeeding, too ;-))  He says there is some new research out of
Sweden indicating that the "standard" regimen of Imuran, prednisone, and
cyclosporine is not a problem for breastfeeding patients with kidney
transplants.  Heart recipients shouldn't be any different.  This is
significant news because cyclosporine in currently considered contra-indicated
by the AAP, a position my dh has never really agreed with.

Elaine Ziska, LLLL
Jackson, MS